Celebrating Womanhood in "Baji" Art Exhibit - Tagbilaran City, Bohol

Last April 2014, my husband and I were strolling in Galleria Luisa, a new mall in Tagbilaran City, Bohol. We luckily chanced upon a free art exhibit honoring the WOMAN. Being the feminist, art, and freebie lover that I am, I knew I just had to come in and take a look.

"Inunlan ka sa kalig-on" means "You are cradled by solidarity" in Cebuano/Visayan

"Baji", as the exhibit is called, is a Cebuano word which means woman or babae, according to my husband. In this exhibit, I was dazzled by many art pieces of different media coming from girls and grown women. There were poems, paintings, and photography all created by Boholanas.

Here are some of my many favorites and I hope you love these pieces as much as I do. These artworks were locally made by Boholanos in celebration of womanhood.


A beautiful poem entitled Eugenia by Mitzi Lungay. This reminds me of how much my mom too has been my crying shoulder.

This painting is Bahandi by Dr. Joanna Flores. According to the author, this depicts the heartfelt love of a mother and outpouring of protection for her daughter.

The Reflection: In Faith She Stands by Cheyenne Bulahan. This painting is inspired by Proverbs 31:26 "She opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness."


Photography by Noelyn Dano entitled (T) Resilience (B) Serenity depicting the resilience of Aeta women despite the threat to their socio-ecological systems.




Pampering Thy Faith by Jhacky Curambao. According to the artist, this shows how a woman develops to become a nurturer when she becomes a mother and has the role of molding the right values and faith in her children.

Beyond Every Woman's Beauty by Ma. Julie Bee Unlayao is about the truth that REAL beauty is not only skin deep.
Those were all the paintings I love from the Baji exhibit in Tagbilaran City, Bohol. I hope they inspired you as much as they inspired me.

Xoxo,
Jacq

Comments

Popular Posts