5 Ways We Created Our Christmas Family Traditions!!!

As a doting parent of a bub celebrating his first Christmas in a new country, I am both excited and curious about how I could make his first Christmas experience magical. I read from Finlee and Me that one way is to make unique family traditions out of this season. 

So here are the family traditions my husband and I decided to build around this season. 

1. Don Christmas Outfits

No Christmas is complete without the proper outfit. In Australia, I notice they wear Christmas shirts and there are tons of Christmas outfits for babies! (Winning!) And because of that, I bought my son his first set of Christmas outfits! Here are some simple outfits we've found in various stores, such as Best and Less which sells them at a bargain, and in various markets around Perth region. 






2. Take a Photo with Santa

The second one is taking a photo with Santa! We got one from the shops but I reckon there are lots of "Picture with Santa" booths all around Perth. Others are even free! 

Behind the Scenes to Yo's First Santa Picture

3. Watch Christmas projections in the city

Another activity to add to the tradition is admiring the Christmas tree and Christmas projections in the city. Recently, we visited Melbourne and they have almost the same projections as in Perth.  

I must admit I'm quite impressed with the efforts of those who organised this nightly show. I support their Christmas programs in Forrest Chase and I hope it goes on every year. Really awesome stuff!





4. Create Christmas projects and crafts

A suggestion, once again from Finlee and Me, is to initiate Christmas projects that could be done with the kids such as making an advent wreath, making Christmas stockings, gift wrapping, cooking your Christmas feast, etc. 

Since my son is still a year, I had a limited activity list. What I enjoyed the most is cooking our Christmas feast with my husband. 


Our simple Christmas dinner. 



Update: For our second year of Christmas, we had more arts and crafts done (in collab with Twinkl). Read up on our Christmas crafts for toddlers post here.


Our Christmas crafts for 2016!!! (Photo from Instagram of @twinklaustralia)

5. Participate in Christmas Mass

As we are a Christian family, it is a long-standing tradition in our family to participate in Christmas Mass. Various Catholic churches around Perth offer night mass in preparation for Christmas. The night mass is a 9-day series of novena masses to await Christmas which depicts the birth of Christ. Since we came from the Philippines, this is intrinsically a part of our culture and heritage and we want to pass this on to our son. 


Night mass in Kolbe Catholic College, Rockingham, WA.

Those were our ideas on how to make Christmas memorable, personal, and unique for our family. Now I'd like to hear from you. What are your fave holiday family traditions?  

Have a magical Christmas and a fantastic New year!

Cheers supermom!
Jacq 

Comments

Popular Posts