VCO: The Pregnant Mom's BFF to Heal Dry Skin (and Nipples too)

In the beginning of my 2nd Trimester, I noticed that my skin became drier than usual that I had to switch the products that I used on my skin (Read about my 2nd trimester pregnancy skin savers here). 

Consequently, my nipples have also become drier. I did some research and found out that this is expected and have been experienced by a lot of mothers out there since the start of their 2nd trimester, and even until they breastfed their kids. 


At extreme, but still quite common cases, mothers who breastfeed also have wounds on their nipples if they are unable to establish a good latch with their babies.

Because of this concern, I decided to search for the best product I could use to protect my nipples from dryness now and prevent cracks/wounds upon breastfeeding my child in the future. 

Lanolin or Coconut?


Based from online pregnancy support groups, the most popular products mothers used on their dry or cracked nipples are Lanolin wax and Coconut oil. 

I did some research on both and found that Lanolin wax comes from sheep's wool and is often used to treat sore nipples of breastfeeding mothers overseas. 


On the other hand, Coconut oil comes from the meat of matured coconuts and is used as moisturizer for very dry skin. They say it can be stored at room temperature for as long as 2 years! It is also edible and is grown locally.


After much research and internal debate, I decided to purchase Virgin Coconut oil (VCO) to solve my skin woes based on the following reasons:


  • Easily accessible and is grown locally (in the Philippines)
  • More affordable. Lanolin has to be imported since we don't naturally tend sheep in the country.
  • It is deliciously edible and need not be rinsed off when you are to breastfeed your child.
  • It is advocated and being used by a lot of pro-organic and vegan mommas out there. 
  • All-natural and non-medicated
  • It has natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties

VCO use in the hospital

I was first acquainted with the positive effects of VCO in the Neonatal ICU of a Philippine tertiary hospital. 


While I was still working there, we used to give VCO as a supplement to breast milk for low birth weight neonates (<1500 grams) to help them safely gain weight. I reckon there were positive outcomes out of that practice.

(Read an abstract of that study here)
(Read Philippine Daily Inquirer, 2005 news clipping on VCO here)


How to Use

To put on dry skin, place a little VCO on cotton pads and dab gently on problem areas. Too easy!

The Effects of VCO

After using VCO for only 2 days, the dryness in my nipple areas has disappeared completely!

Praise God!


I find VCO very effective in moisturizing my skin and nipples and I feel I will be using this in future months especially when I've started breastfeeding my baby.

Click here to read an insightful post from BabyCenter about the positive effects of VCO for a pregnant mother.


Verdict

For only Php 170 for a 250 mL bottle, I reckon this product is worth it! I don't really recommend a specific brand of VCO. You may purchase any brand that fancies you as long as it is pure, natural VCO.

Proudly Filipino and all-organic, I give VCO for pregnant mommies a rating of 5 succulent-coconut-meats out of a possible 5!

I hope this blog post helps you in your journey through motherhood.

God bless your pregnancy!

xoxo,
Jacq

PS: If you have any other recommendations and suggestions for me, please leave a comment below. Thanks! :)

Popular Posts